Sunday, February 12, 2006

Tenouchi, please!

On Saturdays, we have a one-hour kendo session which we dedicate entirely to jigeiko (that's sparring, for you iaidoka out there ;). Jigeiko is not my strength, really, and I seem to have a habit of being even worse on Saturdays. Maybe it's because I'm thrown right into it without all the technique training we usually do first, I don't know.

Yesterday was no exception, I made a terrible performance. What was slightly worse though, was the fact that everyone else seemed to try to punish me for it. I received loads of blows above my kote, one to my thigh, and the worst one was a missed men which banged into my shoulder so hard that I actually had to stop for a minute and catch my breath. It still hurts a little today, guess I will get a nice little bruise in a few days (I'm a slow bruiser). Hence the title. ^^

2 Comments:

Blogger Mad Dog said...

If kendo randori is like aikido (I'm sure it is) the most probable reason for "poor" performance is mental stifness which causes the practioner to be slow or even freeze. This is a common problem and has happened to me a lot in aikido. The answer is more intensive training so that your reactions become instinctive and you are not trying to think. Easy to say and very difficult to do. And for awhile it means more bruises...!

17:26  
Blogger Caroline said...

I agree. :)

12:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home