Thursday, March 08, 2007

Sloppy technique

My cold is almost gone, so I decided this morning to skip kendo (to not risk getting ill again), but attend iaido so that I can at least get some practice in this week. Jocke was teaching the class and focused a lot on different turns and morotetsuki.

I had some bigger issues though: generally sloppy technique. As I have suspected for some time, these last six months or so when I have practised way less than what I ought to, I've lost a lot. My grip is sloppy, my tenouchi was hardly at all today, my balance comes and goes... Also my nukitsuke and noto needs a lot of practise as I've had pointed out to me on multiple occasions this winter from different teachers that I'm bending my wrist in a weird way when performing these two.

With about 2,5 months left until the Swedish Championships it's definitely time to shape up! I really want to keep kendo up, so this probably means that I need to be more disciplined when it comes to studying, so that I can devote more time to practise. I'll have to sacrifice my "lazy time", and try to be more effective. I want to practise at least an hour by myself each week, outside the regular training schedule. I think I will need to work out a plan. Probably using FunBeat, because it's great for these things.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mad Dog said...

I'm an expert at sloppy technique -I'm hoping that I can tighten up my iaido by supplemental training at a very highly regarded iai dojo. In my first class the senior sensei (8th dan, I believe) was clearly unimpressed by my noto. It's going to be a long journey...!

Incidentally, what style of iaido do you practice?

04:36  
Blogger Caroline said...

Mainly seitei at the moment.

Wow, hachidan...you're really lucky!

07:44  
Blogger Mad Dog said...

You got to Nidan on Seitei alone (I've know idea what the grading requirements are)? I'm just learning the seiteigata now. I've trained previously in Muso Shinden Ryu (2 yrs) and more recently the late Nishio Sensei's Aiki Toho Iai (year and a half). The latter style is contemporary and developed to "connect the pieces" of aikido. Unfortunately Nishio Sensei passed away two years ago and as far as I can tell the future of the style is a bit uncertain.

02:11  
Blogger Mad Dog said...

P.S. I should point out that I've been taught Aiki Toho Iai by my aikido instructor. I'm now learning Seitei from the Musokai iaido dojo mentioned inmy blog.

02:13  
Blogger Caroline said...

Yes, I have. The grading requirements don't require koryu iai shown until testing for yondan. I won't wait _that_ long though. ;)

22:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home