Monday, May 23, 2005

Why karateka shouldn't sweat so much

I had forgotten all about practise today until someone asked me about it. I'm really thankful for that question, as I really needed to practise, but sadly the person asking didn't show up. That meant it was just Hannes and I, which of course is better than the times I'm there alone. ;)

Overall, it was a good session. My throat is aching, as I did some bad kiai during warm-up (mainly to scare off the karateka of course ;) ), but other than that...no huge mistakes. Or, well... The thing is our dojo is equipped with an officially crappy floor. I don't like blaming every mistake I make on this, but today the karate class that has the session before us had been sweating a whole lot, which meant the floor was even stickier than usual. This in turn, meant that sliding gracefully across the floor was absolutely impossible.

Anyway...my bokken suburi worked out a lot better than they did Saturday. I did focus a little extra on my kiritsuke and I felt that it made a difference. Also metsuke worked rather well, but only when I think about it. :/ To ni rei was a little so-so...again.

The things that need more work this week:

  • metsuke - eyes mustn't follow the sword through kiritsuki even if I'm concentrated on something else

  • kiritsuke - works fine, but I need to actually *know* that it does

  • footwork - will see if I can steel a corner of the training hall at kendo practice tomorrow

  • to ni rei - mainly the sageo is causing trouble

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home