Sunday, May 22, 2005

A little bit of kendo

There was supposed to be a kendo seminar here in Linköping this weekend, but unfortunately the invited sensei got ill just a fews days before, and it all had to be cancelled. This of course meant that we had a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands and we had paid for some time in a training hall. What did we do? Of course we had some practise.

Today was hence lazy-kata-practice-day. I didn't do any kendo kata, but I did try some bokuto kihon bla-bla. First kendo I have done for a looong time but it was kind of nice. Didn't go well, but was fun. Better than the other way around. ;)

As the others continued with kendo kata, I switched to iaito and did iaido kata. Tried to start by doing reiho, then five kata in a row, then reiho...a little like shinsa/shiai as the Swedish Championships are coming up. Didn't get to the finishing reiho before people started asking questions, but no harm done really. I was rather in a more social mood anyway. ;) Because of this, not much did get done.

I feel that I need to do more suburi with my bokken, as I have to get used to it's weight, which is close to zero. I also need to practise my kiritsuki as I have become a little lazy when it comes to dai (as in Dai Kyo Soku Kei) and horizontality. It seems a little late to start doing any important changes in the kata, but to ni rei still needs polishing. Also metsuki and speed need to be focused on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home